Parent (Migrant) Visa
This visa allows parents to migrate to Australia permanently to join their children who are living in Australia. This visa requires that you be sponsored by your child, or another eligible sponsor, in Australia. This visa is parent of a child or stepchild who, at the time the visa application is lodged, is ‘settled’ and either an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. This means your child must have been lawfully resident in Australia for a reasonable period, normally two years, although a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizen children if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances.
In addition you must be able to demonstrate one of the following:
- at least half of your children are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who are usually resident in Australia.
- you have more children living in Australia as Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens than in any other country.
Your partner and other dependent family members may be included in your application provided they satisfy certain requirements.
This visa allows you and your accompanying partner and dependent family members to live as permanent residents in Australia.
You can also:
- work and study in Australia.
- receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods).
- be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship (subject to residency eligibility criteria).
- sponsor people for permanent residence (subject to waiting periods).